I have been finding notes and given notes that contained a phone number and name, Austin. Sam has talked about Austin and gone to school with him for the last 4 years but this is the first time he has talked about hanging out with him. Our schedule is rather full and I admit I didn’t do anything to get the boys together because I am sometimes a slacker mom. Friday night I got a call from Austin’s mom and she invited Sam to come over. We agreed upon a time and I dropped him off. Even though Jake is in the picture below he did not stay because this is Sam’s friend and time.I was so happy about this visit on so many levels.
1. Austin and Sam initiated this visit. Sure the moms followed up with calls and transportation but the guys were the ones that wanted to get together.
2. They decided what they wanted to do. I was not surprised that they chose to play the Wii and I was fine with that. Playing together meant that they were interacting and talking together.
3. Sam was doing something without his brother. It is easier for me to plan things around brothers. It’s kind of like a built-in friend thing but it is time to branch out.
4. It wasn’t at my house! Sometimes a mom gets tired and this was my weekend to chill. The next time Austin will come here and I am planning on taking them to the rec center to play basketball(my choice). Their choice will be to play the Wii when we get back.
5. I hate to admit this but having only 2 kids at home Saturday morning is a breeze. I enjoyed my 2 hour break even though part of it was spent driving back and forth to deliver and pick up Sam.
Visiting a friend was a perfect way for Sam to spend Saturday morning.